Wednesday, September 23, 2026

 


A Trip to the Sea Life Aquarium in Grapevine


This is the second time I visited this aquarium. I like the way they have lots of learning stations for the kids and they have a good theme of shipwrecks and places where you would see the sea life you're observing. I believe it is crucial for children to grow up with a love for their environment and its flaura and fauna.

Last time I visited it was with my son who was ten or so at the time, I looked for an old post and I guess I missed it. 


My goal was to capture portraits of different fish- a moray eel against the blue stones, an Angel Fish, etc. When ever I go to shoot a scene, there is always a basic concept that I focus on, if not there are just snapshots of a family outing only you're alone. 

I wanted to capture the personalities of some of the fish and turtles, as well as capturing their habitats with some feeling of place and time.


I was saddened to think, because of man displacing these beautiful lionfish in foreign areas of our oceans, they are now considered an invasive species. They truly are a remarkable fish, beautiful and graceful their spines are very intricate and the blue light painted them like mystical clowns.

Another beautiful fish I have seen while diving in Bermuda are Angel Fish, I found the Queen Angel.


I will also be using this image of the light coming down into the aquarium as a model for an older pastel of blackfish beneath the ocean so stay tuned for that.


This was the previous attempt and it will be revamped with more information from the tank. Many times when I am photographing, I'm also looking for information to help me paint an image. Stay tuned for an updated painting of the blackfish in moonlight from Belmar New Jersey.

The highlight of my trip were the jellyfish- I think I could have watched them for the rest of the day. 




I would highly recommend going to the Sea Life Aquarium, it's fun and educational for the whole family. Even alone, it was a great place to get away from the Texas heat and just lose myself in the ocean.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Artistgordon - Find me on Bloggers.com