Thursday, January 4, 2018

Cedar Ridge Preserve: A Great Mix of Nature, Exercise and Community

Sumac Berries by ArtbyGordon ©2018
I visited the Cedar Ridge Preserve near Cedar Hill, Texas today. I had actually visited many years ago when it was the Dallas Nature Center.

It is the perfect mix of nature and community,  there were just enough people on the trail that you didn't feel to isolated nor crowded. The paths snake around limestone cliffs and meanders up one hill and down the next.

ArtbyGordon ©2018


There are many large stands of cedar and the shallow roots are like snakes rising out of the chalky soil. They've added logs of cedar for easy hiking and even the steepest trail was pretty easy to maneuver.

ArtbyGordon ©2018


It was the perfect day for a hike, cool enough to be comfortable but not too cold. I worked up a sweat on a few of the steeper paths and the cool breeze was a comfortable temperature.

There are several views where you can see Joe Pool lake and the distant hills. There were a few dogs on the trails but I didn't see that much wildlife or hear that many birds. I did hear some crows, a kinglet and a Carolina wren but it was mostly quiet.

ArtbyGordon ©2018


The surrounding highways were far enough away and their sounds were muffled by the hills of the preserve and the dense cedars and oak trees. Several times along the way I was able to just relax and enjoy the silence of nature.

It was a perfect day and something that I've been craving for quite a while. Nature is an amazing source of strength and peace for me and I left the park recharged. I will definitely go back.


ArtbyGordon ©2018



No comments:

Post a Comment

Artistgordon - Find me on Bloggers.com